Sunday, June 05, 2005

[Excessive Naval-Gazing] Leaving on a Jet Plane

I talked with my dad for the last time before he returns to Iraq. It was the longest conversation we had had in a long time.

I'm one of those people who's a worrier, and my dad is off to a very dangerous place. I'm not worried about crazy people with guns--really, I'm worried about heatstroke because I know he doesn't drink enough water.

I'm one of those people who never was as close to his parents as a lot of people. There are reasons, there always are, but that doesn't mean I like it. At least I've come to this realization at a much earlier stage of life than Hollywood stereotype would lead one to believe is possible.

Unfortunately, my dad isn't great at showing emotion, and I am abysmal at communicating those things myself, and so changing things is hard.

Yeah, it's a story everyone has heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home