Saturday, June 03, 2006

Thus Is Life

I just got back from the ballet. Previously I would have taken off my suit and let Spartacus out to play. That won't happen again.

Somewhere midway through the second act it hit me why he had refused to leave his hammock the last couple of days--he couldn't. He might have been like that, unable to get to food or water, for days before I found him collapsed. I fed him treats, but that's not enough. It explains why he had lost so much weight. I should have noticed, not that that would have changed the ending.

I know I did the right thing, but I don't like it. I still feel like I've betrayed my friend.

I have a bottle of wine in my fridge. Years of country music have taught me that there is nothing I need at the bottom of it, but there is most certainly something useful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drink a round in his honor for me, would you?

He was a cool little guy, and I know you'll miss him something fierce, but I'm sure he's at peace now.

As far as a rat's life goes, I think it's fair to say that you gave him a very happy one, and I'm sure he appreciated it.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home